Friday, January 7, 2011

Let me introduce myself




Flower Design is my first attempt to run my own business after 30+ years of office work. I never considered myself an entrepreneur, but designing flower arrangements is an opportunity to indulge a life-long passion. Specializing in artificial flowers allows me to work out of my home without maintaining a perishable inventory. My training consists of floral design classes run by the nationally recognized floral arrangers Mike Gaffney and Ardith Beveridge.

Artificial flowers, silk flowers, faux flowers, permanent botanicals: these terms mean about the same thing and are usually used interchangeably. My husband and I maintain four perennial flower beds in our yard and we appreciate the delicate beauty of summer blooms. Artificial flowers do not replace the natural beauty of real blossoms and I don’t feel they are meant to.  They simulate their beauty. If the resemblance between real and faux is close enough, the faux blossoms will evoke the same emotional response as real blooms. For this reason, and because the faux blossoms are permanent and do not incur the costs of maintenance and frequent replacement, they are an integral feature in interior design.

Of course, artificial flowers that are poorly made will not have this desired affect, and will detract from an otherwise beautifully appointed room. That is why, over the years, there has been a continuous effort to improve the quality of artificial flowers. In just the last decade, major improvements have been made in their manufacture so that we are now at a stage where faux blossoms are not only eye deceiving, but the best nearly deceive our sense of touch.

I am going to try to dispel the negative attitude toward artificial flowers that stems from a time when they were unmistakably fake and to illustrate their current remarkable realism. Then you will understand why I say I am able to put the beauty of nature at your disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment